CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Obsession is Justified

About a million posts ago (OK slight exaggeration I think I have only 32 total posts) I mentioned by new favorite TV show. I had picked my song of the day, Metro Station's - Shake It, I wrote at the time that the song reminded me of the show BONES (I had seen a youtube video highlighting the show)...well now, finally I am going to talk about it - it being my favorite TV show - BONES.

I am not sure how many people understand the exciting life of a single mother. I wish I could say that I spent my evenings after Jadyn was in bed improving myself or cleaning like a maniac, but when you work 40 hours a week and work as a mom and dad, it is hard to come home and well - work. At least for me it is. (Don't worry - I do make time for the housework! Maybe I should use some of that time to update my blog...hehe) I am not a big TV watcher, mostly Football or movies or reading, but one night I tuned in to BONES, and the rest as they say is history. It was the end of season three and I had to watch every single episode, in like a week. I love it and now I follow blogs and twitters and youtube fan videos, I have even read a few fan fics (but I haven't written any)...I am obsessed. I know it. The first step in addiction is admitting you have a problem...well I admit I am a fan(atic), but I am not sure I would call it a problem...

I have tried to think about what is it in this show that I like so much? Yes, the whole will they won't they aspect of the show is there. Booth and Brennen need to get together already. But if they did would I lose interest? I have to think that I wouldn't. I am interested and invested (clearly) enough in these characters, that I want to see more of their life than just the dancing around each other. I want to see them dancing with each other, and I know I could stick around for that.

So what is it about this show? I have never seen one episode of Buffy (still haven't ) or Angel (ok, so maybe since BONES I now own all 5 seasons) so I wasn't following David Boreanez. Is it the writing? The chemistry? The angst? The great acting? The forensics? The mystery? I like to think it is a little of everything. You want a show to be smart - frankly because you are smart. You want to show to have connections between the characters - because frankly you have connections with the people in your life, including co-workers (I mean heck we are with them more that we are at home, right?) You want a show that isn't just dramatic, or funny, or romantic, or just one thing...because life isn't just one thing. I think we can see ourselves in similar settings, okay - I can't find killers based on people's bones, but what exists in this show is something we can relate to. We can find something to connect to, and I love making those connections.

The other thing that I think really draws me to the show is the arguments. I know that might sound kinda silly. But usually in life there are different ways of looking at things. To me BONES does a good job a presenting two sides of an argument. There are some instances where clearly we know what the writers want us to think, like dog fighting is wrong, and other times they are just saying...here look at both sides and talk amongst yourselves...I like a show that makes me think with out feeling like I am being reprimanded for the way I think.

I could go on. I could probably write a paragraph or two about why the character Booth is so appealing to women (at least me)...but I will stop there. Just buy the DVD's, rent from netflix, watch hulu and tune in Thursday nights at 8pm/7central on FOX.

Plus, you can check out the website: http://www.fox.com/bones
The reason for this wonderful post's title...last week on the BONES website, there was a contest...a contest to name what was on the USB drive in the briefcase. (Watch Season 5 episode 2 'The Bond in the Boot.') Well I submitted two entries and was lucky enough to be one of the winners. I am not sure which entry is a winner - I will find out tomorrow. They will post the winners on the website, so check it out! They asked for our picture so if there is voting...VOTE! I will update tomorrow with any link. And I can't wait to see what I get in the mail...

I will pick the song of the day Oingo Boingo "Dead Man's Party." It was the BONES promo song...thought I would pay a little homage (as if the entire post wasn't one already!)

2 comments:

Becca said...

I just checked the website and I still don't see the winners...can't believe how you win EVERYTHING! Lucky.

Kathryn said...

I know I keep checking...I am stalking the website...I found a tweet, twit, twawt...whatever it is called that said that winners had been mailed something, so hopefully I don't have to wait to long...fingers crossed something fabulous!

PS - And I don't win everything...just U2 tickets and something from Bones...my two great passions...hehe..